Howard Wong joined Des Voeux Chambers as a tenant in 2018 after serving pupillage with Ms. Maggie Wong SC, Mr. Jenkin Suen SC, Mr. John Hui and Mr. Christopher Chain. After graduating from the London School of Economics, Howard pursued the postgraduate BCL at the University of Oxford. He was one of the six recipients of the Hong Kong Bar Scholarship in 2018 and the Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship in 2019. In law school, Howard was an avid mooter and has represented both the United Kingdom and Hong Kong in the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
Howard is currently developing a broad civil practice and accepts instructions in all of DVC’s principal areas of practice. He has appeared both as sole advocate and led junior in the High Court and District Court, and has experience conducting trial work in Chinese. He has also delivered CPD talks on areas including probate and trusts, and securities and futures law. He is equally comfortable in making submissions in English and Chinese. He has also delivered CPD talks on areas including probate and trusts, and securities and futures law.
Des Voeux Chambers is a leading set of Chambers based in Hong Kong with an illustrious history dating back over 30 years. Building on its history, and its Tier 1 reputation, its Members have cultivated a reputation for combining intellectual rigour with effective advocacy. As one of the largest sets of Chambers in HK, DVC is home to over 80 astute legal minds, many of whom have spearheaded groundbreaking cases. Helmed by John Scott QC, SC, JP, DVC houses 20 Members who have been called to the Inner Bar and appointed Queen’s Counsel & Senior Counsel in HK and elsewhere.
- Convoy Collateral Limited v Cho Kwai Chee & Ors. (HCA 399/2018) – Mareva injunction application to freeze assets in excess of HK$760 million, in connection to the Enigma Network scandal (with William Wong SC and John Hui). The application involves obtaining Mareva relief against a non-cause of action defendant on the basis of the Court’s Chabra jurisdiction.
- Re: Hsin Chong Construction Company Limited and Hsin Chong Construction (Asia) Limited (HCCW 239/2018 & HCCW 316/2018) – application for the appointment of provisional liquidators (with John Scott SC and Patrick Chong).
- Re: China Cultural City Limited (HCCW 313/2019) – resisting a winding up petition on the basis of a bona fide dispute (with John Hui).
- Re: Chan John Loong Fai  HKCFI 1886; (unrep, HCB 6991/2017, 2 August 2019) - representing the Official Receiver in an application to determine whether a candidate was fit to be a trustee in bankruptcy (with Christopher Chain).
- China Wah Yan Healthcare Limited & Ors. v Dr. Chan Leung Kwok Clement  HKCFI 2047; (unrep, HCA 923/2019, 19 July 2019) – resisting application for an interlocutory injunction to enforce restrictive covenants in an employment contract (with William Wong SC and Vincent Chiu).
- Sophisticated Materials Limited v Sidepec International Limited and Lei Shing Hong Credit Limited  HKCFI 2836; (unrep, HCA 157/2017, 28 December 2018) – striking out application regarding resulting and common intention constructive trusts (with Christopher Chain).
- City Palm Ltd & Ors. v Fan Chin Wa (DCCJ 6062 to 6064 of 2018) – action concerning the recovery of land, unjust enrichment, and proprietary estoppel (with Alan Kwong).
- Mak Hin Kwan v Wiki Capital Finance Limited and Ho Kai Hei Daniel (HCA 2617/2018) – resisting application for striking out involving points of law such as adverse possession, resulting trust, limitation, common intention constructive trust and the Land Registration Ordinance (Cap. 128) (with William Wong SC and Alan Kwong).
- Zhang Yan & Ors. v ASA Bullion (unrep., HCA 1555/2018, 21 September 2018) - resisting an application for the release of funds pursuant to an earlier freezing order (with Cherry Xu).
- 黃正謙 v 施榮懷 (HCA 2284/2018) – action defending against allegations of intimidation, harassment and unlawful means conspiracy (with Christopher Chain).
- Wang Jun v Sin Yuk Hung & Anor. (HCA 2917/2018) – resisting a summary judgment application for the recovery of debt (with Alan Kwong).
- Fan Ming Kiu v Urban Property Management Limited (HCPI 181/2017) – resisting leave to file and serve a witness statement on the ground of hearsay and unsatisfactory drafting (as sole advocate).
- CTBC Bank Co., Ltd v Campus Garment Manufacturing Company Limited (HCA 305/2016) – trial in Chinese for enforcement of guarantee by a bank against a guarantor (with Michael Lok).
- Choi Oi Lin v King Fung International Enterprise (HK) Limited (HCA 910/2016) – application for amendment of pleadings involving withdrawal of an admission (as sole advocate).
- Emperor Finance Limited v Luo Zhanghao and Nian Aifeng (DCMP 2978/2018) – resisting an application for variation and/or discharge of an order for sale, with submissions in Chinese (as sole advocate).
- The New India Assurance Company Limited v Anglo-Eastern Ship Management (India) Private Limited (HCA 3028/2017) – cross-border claims involving enforcement of foreign judgments, forum non-conveniens and the effectiveness of arbitration clauses.
Selected Paper Work
- Preparation of affirmation in opposition to a winding up petition involving a HK$78 million claim
- Advising on a cross-border shipping and insurance problem
- Various advisory work
- Bar Scholarship (2018)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2019)
- Oxford University Press Book Prize for winning the UK Rounds of the Jessup Moot (2015)
- Nicola Lacey prize (2013)
- “Setting aside judgments obtained by fraud” (2017) 133 LQR 575
- CPD Talk - “Updates on the Law relating to Probate and the Administration of Estates” (16 October 2018, with Kerby Lau)
- HKICPA Talk - “Personal Insolvency” (1 December 2018, with Tiffany Chan)