Jenkin Suen SC has developed a leading civil practice, specialising in commercial and chancery disputes, company and insolvency litigation, land and planning law, public law and regulatory litigation.
In terms of commercial practice, Jenkin regularly acts for developers, banks, commercial conglomerates and liquidators in court trials, appeals and interlocutory applications. As regards land and planning law, he often represents the Secretary for Justice (SJ), the Director of Land, the Secretary for Development, the Town Planning Board (TPB) and the Land Registry, on both advisory and contentious matters.
In his public law and regulatory practice, Jenkin advises and represents a wide range of Government officials/bureau and statutory bodies, such as the Chief Executive (CE), the CE in Council, the SJ, the Secretary for Home Affairs, the Building Authority, the Registrar of Companies, the Securities and Futures Commission, the Official Receiver, the Housing Authority, Hospital Authority, the Medical Council, the Law Society Council, and various statutory boards and tribunals.
Alongside his private practice, Jenkin has written extensively in the legal field. He is the co-author of Shareholders’ Rights and Remedies in Hong Kong (2011), the first practitioner text on the law of shareholders’ remedies in Hong Kong. He is also a contributing author to Company Law in Hong Kong - Practice and Procedure and has been a contributing editor to Hong Kong Civil Procedure since 2007.
Jenkin Suen of Des Voeux Chambers maintains an impressively varied practice, being described by one source as "very good in regulatory, planning and administrative law matters" while another notes that he "knows a lot about company law and shareholder issues." The latter interviewee adds that Suen is also notable for his combination of a measured approach with very quick reactions and opines that he is clearly "going to go places," while a third contributor reports that he is "very client-oriented and solution-focused and very well liked by solicitors." He is often instructed on behalf of government bodies in planning disputes.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2019)
Jenkin Suen of Des Voeux Chambers maintains a wide-ranging commercial, public law and regulatory practice, focusing closely on company, insolvency and banking disputes and acting regularly for government bodies, particularly where planning questions are involved. Sources respect him as a "solid and hard-working" advocate who "knows his stuff" in such areas.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2018)
"Jenkin Suen of Des Voeux Chambers acts on a wide range of commercial and chancery matters, offering particularly extensive knowledge of company law and winning praise for his impressive level of activity and dedication to his clients’ interests. He is often instructed by government departments and agencies, particularly with regard to land or insolvency disputes."
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2017)
- Chairman, Appeal Tribunal Panel (Buildings), 2015-2018
- Council Member, The Bar Council, 2007-2009
- Xu Lu Chun v Wu Chang Jiang, HCMP 3166/2014. Interim Payment Application.
- Eminent Investments (Asia Pacific) Ltd v DIO Corporation, CACV 207/2016 / HCA 1292/2011. Appeal and Trial on contractual interpretation, misrepresentation and breach.
- Fabiano Hotels Ltd v Profitmax Holdings Inc, HCA 3428/2018 / HCMP 2825/2016. Mareva Injunction and Summary Judgment Applications.
- Integrity Financial Advice Network Co Ltd v Lau Kong Kei / Chu Yau Shun, HCA 2165/2011 / HCA 623/2012. Trials on misrepresentation and claw-back in agency contract.
- Fok Chun Yue Benjamin v Yau Wing Co Ltd, HCMP 3250/2015. Leave application for statutory derivative action.
- Hansen International Ltd v High Fashion Apparel Ltd, HCA 1724/2014. Interim injunction against removal of CEO.
- Nam Sang Wai Development Company Limited v TPB, TPA 3/2014 / TPA 1/2017. Planning Appeals before the Town Planning Appeal Board.
- Lam Ar Fu Peter v Building Authority, HCAL 2259/2018. Judicial review against decision of Appeal Tribunal (Buildings).
- Designing Hong Kong Ltd v Town Planning Board (2018) 21 HKCFAR 237,  3 HKLRD 560,  2 HKLRD 60;  5 HKLRD 828. Appeals on protective costs order (PCO) and joinder application.
- I Villas Ltd v SJ, HCA 1883/2014. Trial on construction of lease covenants.
- Cheermark Investment Ltd v The Director of Lands  1 HKLRD 79. Appeal on statutory compensation for resumption of land.
- Re Magic International Holdings Limited. Proceedings before the Market Misconduct Tribunal.
- Tsang Kin Shing v SJ, HCAL 687/2019 and HCAL 2882/2018. Application for split hearing in judicial review on prosecutorial decision.
- Lok Man Fai Felix v Architects Registration Board  2 HKLRD 745. Appeal on disciplinary decision.
- Dr U v The Preliminary Investigation Committee of the Medical Council of Hong Kong, FAMV 11/2018, CACV 151/2016,  4 HKLRD 31. Judicial review and appeals on statutory construction.
- Yau Wai Ching v CE (2017) 20 HKCFAR 390; CE & SJ v President of the Legislative Council  1 HKLRD 460 (CA),  6 HKC 417 (CFI). Judicial Reviews concerning the 2016 Legislative Council election.
- Commissioner of Registration v Registration of Persons Tribunal  4 HKLRD 810.
- Hong Kong Middle Temple Society Advocacy Scholarship
- Des Voeux Chambers Scholarship
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship for Overseas Studies
- Simon KY Lee Medal in Law
- The Hong Kong University Alumni Prize
- Sir Man Kam Lo/Jardine Scholarship
- King Edward VII Scholarship
- Li Po Chun Scholarship
- Johnson, Stokes & Master Scholarship in Law
- Lovell White Durrant Scholarship in Law
- Co-Author of Shareholders’ Rights and Remedies in Hong Kong (LexisNexis, 2011)
- Contributing Author of Company Law in Hong Kong - Practice and Procedure (Sweet & Maxwell)
- Contributing Editor of Hong Kong Civil Procedure (since 2007 up to present)
- Speaker in various seminars hosted bythe Hong Kong Bar Association, LexisNexis and the Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries