After obtaining First Class honours in both architecture and law from the University of Hong Kong and the Bachelor of Civil Law from the University of Oxford, Calvin joined Des Voeux Chambers in 2006.
Calvin has since developed a broad practice with special emphasis in construction disputes. He is regularly instructed in disputes relating to large infrastructure and construction projects in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and the PRC, including cross-harbour tunnel, casinos, coal mines, commercial complexes, hotels and residential developments.
Calvin has appeared in various levels of the courts, including the Court of Final Appeal. Calvin is also regularly instructed to appear in arbitrations. He is the Vice-Chairman of the Society of Construction Law Hong Kong and the Hon. Secretary of the Committee on Construction Law of the Hong Kong Bar Association. He was also appointed as the Deputy District Judge in 2018.
Calvin Cheuk is accredited in the Leading Junior Counsel category by the Doyles Guide for Leading Construction & Infrastracture Litigation Barristers - Hong Kong, 2020
Doyles Guide (2020)
Calvin is a Recommended Junior Counsel in Doyle’s Guide for “Leading Construction & Infrastructure Barristers – Hong Kong” 2017 and recognised in Who’s Who Legal Construction: Future Leaders 2019.
Doyles Guide (2017), Who's Who Legal (2019)
- The Commission of Inquiry into the Construction Works at and near the Hung Hom Station Extension under the Shatin to Central Link Project ("The MTR Inquiry")
- Re Hsin Chong Construction Co Ltd  HKCFI 1531
- Unistress Building Construction Ltd v Top Dollars Development Ltd  1 HKLRD 237
- De Monsa Investments Ltd v Richly Bright International Ltd (2015) 18 HKCFAR 232
- Beacon Hill (IO) v Match Power Investment Ltd  5 HKLRD 107
- Gao Haiyan & Anor v Keeneye Holdings Ltd  3 HKC 157
- Marcus Praetorius v Head Architecture and Design Ltd HCA 1057/2013
- Unitress v The Pressure Piling Co. (Hong Kong) Limited and others ESS 21671-21676/2009 28 February 2011
- HKSAR v The Pressure Piling Co. (Hong Kong) Limited and others ESS 21671-21676/2009 28 February 2011
- Successfully defended the Defendants against charges brought under section 40(2B)(b) of the Buildings Ordinance, Cap 123 after a 22-day trial involving the tilting of a building in Hong Kong.
- Chow Fu Hsien v K Vision International Investment (HK) Ltd HCA 2884/2004 17 November 2009
- Represented the Plaintiff (and was led by Ms Lisa Wong SC) and successfully enforced a trust deed relating to a large scale property development in Beijing against the defendant company.
- BSC Interior Contract and Engineering Company Ltd v Shinta CACV 325/2008 23 October 2009
- Represented the Defendant (and was led by John Scott SC) in a dispute which concerned the existence of an oral collateral agreement during construction.
- The Official Receiver v Lui Fu Sing and another HCMP 1922/2008 8 June 2010
- Represented the Official Receiver and successfully obtained a disqualification order against the former directors of a company in liquidation.
- Sun Focus Investment Ltd v Tang Shing Bor & another HCA 538/2007 22 October 2009
- Represented the Defendants and successfully struck out the Plaintiff’s statement of claim relating to a property development in Shanghai, the PRC.
- Paul Y Management Ltd v Eternal Unity Development and Others HCA 571/2007 1 June 2009
- Represented the Defendants and successfully resisted the Plaintiff’s strike-out application relating to a property development in the PRC.
- Clare, Baroness Baillieu v The Foreign Correspondent’s Club, Hong Kong HCMP 1567/2006 7 November 2008
- Represented the Plaintiff and successfully obtained a declaration against the Foreign Correspondent’s Club, Hong Kong after a 4-day trial.
- Represented an employer to resist a contractor’s claims relating to, inter alia, extension of time, variations and direct loss and expenses.
- Represented a contractor in an arbitration principally concerning the claim for loss of profits arising from construction defects brought by an employer.
- Represented a Hong Kong property developer (and was led by Philip Boulding QC and Anthony Houghton SC) in arbitration proceedings against its main contractor of a large scale property development comprising a hotel, offices and service apartments.
- Bar Scholarship (2004)
- Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2003)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship for Overseas Studies (2003)
- Johnson, Stokes and Master Scholarship in Law (2002)
- C V Starr Scholarship (2001)
- Ho Fook Prize in Architecture (1999)
- Consultant Editor of the Hong Kong Law Reports and Digest from June 2011.
- Speaker on “Construction and Arbitration: A Practical Guide”
- Speaker (together with Mr Barrie Barlow SC and Mr Yang-Wahn Hew) on “Issues arising from Companies Winding-up proceedings of which (former) Directors should be aware”
- Speaker (together with Mr Jose Maurellet) on Minority Shareholders’ Remedies.
Cantonese, English, Mandarin