Rachel’s practice relates mainly to insolvency, restructuring, regulatory, company and commercial matters. She joined Des Voeux Chambers in 2006 after winning a series of scholarships and prizes for academic excellence. She is qualified in three jurisdictions - Hong Kong, England & Wales and New York State - and has enjoyed establishing her practice in Hong Kong.
Rachel has acquired extensive experience in insolvency and restructuring matters, company and commercial litigation, as well as in the securities field.
She acts regularly for liquidators and a wide range of companies. Her company and commercial litigation practice comprises commercial trust matters, corporate claims, derivative actions, and commercial injunctions.
In connection with this, she has dealt with a number of corporate restructurings, schemes of arrangement, and privatisations, including amongst others, The Grande Holdings Limited and China Assets (Holdings) Limited schemes.
Her regulatory and securities practice encompasses market misconduct and related disciplinary, compliance and contentious matters. She advises clients in relation to the multifarious issues which can crop up in both contentious and non-contentious settings, and has acted both for and against the SFC in High Court proceedings.
In connection with these areas of practice, she regularly deals with complex issues of law and has advised and represented financial institutions, investors, listed companies and their directors, trustees, beneficiaries, regulators, and shareholders.
She is a Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer.
Rachel Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is acknowledged for her deft handling of a wide range of commercial litigation matters, but comes particularly highly recommended for her expertise in company law and insolvency disputes.
Source commend "Rachel is always top on my list. What impresses me the most is when we encounter an obstacle, she will work with me to resolve it to help alleviate the lay client's concerns. She is on top of the detail on every matter and is very quick on her feet."; "She's solid, calm and to the point, with good advocacy skills."; "She is a highly effective advocate and is really good when she is on her feet in court. She is very hard-working and responsive."
Chambers & Partners: Greater China Region (2023)
Rachel Lam SC is accredited as a Leading Silk for Commercial Disputes.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Hong Kong Bar (2023)
Rachel is a highly visible silk who is clearly "moving up in the insolvency field," and she is commended for being "a very safe pair of hands" who is "extremely confident and composed, both on her feet and when dealing with the clients," and as "a cool, calm and proficient" advocate who "stays very on top of things and works well under pressure." She is acknowledged for her deft handling of a wide range of commercial litigation matters, but comes particularly highly recommended for her expertise in company law and insolvency disputes.
Chambers & Partners Greater China Region (2022)
Company, Commercial & Trusts:
- Lam Tak Choi v Chow Tai Fook Jewellery Co Ltd  HKCFI 362
- Emperor Securities Ltd v SMI Investment (HK) Ltd & Ors  HKCFI 129
- Société Générale, Singapore Branch v Inter Pacific Group Pte Ltd & Ors  HKCFI 2405
- Hong Ziyun v Chan Kwan Ming & Ors  4 HKLRD 405
- Tang Jialin v Sinopac Securities (Asia) Ltd & Ors  HKCFI 2087
- Dickson Valora Group (Holdings) Co Ltd v Fan Qi Jian  2 HKLRD 173
- China Shanshui Cement Group Ltd v Zhang Caikui  HKCFI 444,  HKCFI 973, &  HKCFI 1192
- Re China Assets (Holdings) Ltd HCMP 1875/2017
- Chen Mei Lan v The Registrar of Companies  1 HKLRD 924
- China Baoli Technologies Holdings Ltd v Orient Equal International Group Ltd HCA 1399/2016
- Union Glory Finance Inc v Merrill Lynch International Bank Ltd HCA 2494/2013, CACV 205/2016
- Excel Courage Holdings Ltd v Wong Sin Lai  3 HKLRD 642 & HCCL 34/2013
- Pacific Electric Wire & Cable Co Ltd v Harmutty & Ors  2 HKLRD 261 &  4, HKLRD 349 (CFI),  3 HKLRD 94 (CA), & (2014) 17 HKCFAR 710
- Talal El Makdessi v Team Y&R Holdings Hong Kong Ltd HCMP 1054/2011
- East Epoch International Ltd v Wong Poon Ting  3 HKLRD 495
- World Fuel Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd v Florens Container Inc (2007) 10 HKCFAR 252 & (2007) 10 HKCFAR 256
- Chin Kam Chiu v FTI Consulting, Inc & Others  HKCFI 611
- Re National Arts Entertainment and Culture Group Ltd  HKCFI 151
- Wah Nam Group Ltd v Roderick John Sutton & Anor  HKCA 30
- Ho Chor Ming v Hong Kong Chiu Chow Po Hing Buddhism Association Ltd  3 HKLRD 270 &  HKCA 495
- Peace Mark (Holdings) Ltd (in liquidation) v Chau Cham Wong Patrick HCA 2371/2009,  HKCFI 659
- Re Wah Nam Group Ltd HCCW 166/2000
- Speedy Brilliant Investments Ltd v China Health Group Ltd HCCW 816/2016 Re The Grande Holdings Ltd, HCCW 177/2011
- Re STX Pan Ocean (Hong Kong) Co Limited  5 HKLRD 581
- Re Lehman Brothers Commercial Corporation Asia Ltd  3 HKLRD 448
- Re Days International Ltd  1 HKLRD 20
- Re Gabriel Ricardo Dias-Azedo  4 HKLRD 549
- Re Pioneer Iron and Steel Group Co Ltd HCCW 322/2010
- Re Moulin Global Eyecare Holdings Ltd HCCW 470/2005
- Re Chung Winston  2 HKLRD 649
- Re Titanium Technology Ltd  3 HKLRD 134
- Various engagements by the Securities and Futures Commission
- Founder Holdings Limited Inquiry
- Acron International Technology Ltd v Chan Yiu Wai HCA 1709/2010,  3 HKLRD 799,  HKCA 97, &  HKCFA 21
- Lion Capital LLP v The Registrar of Trade Marks  1 HKLRD 272
- Hitachi, Ltd v Hitachi Wei Chu (Hong Kong) Ltd  4 HKLRD 431
- Member of the Criminal and Law Enforcement Injuries Compensation Boards
- Member of the Standing Committee on Company Law Reform (SCCLR) (1 February 2020 to 31 January 2022)
- Adjudicator of the Immigration Tribunal (since 1 October 2019)
- Member of the Committee on Companies Law, Hong Kong Bar Association
- Member of the Committee on Intellectual Property Law, Hong Kong Bar Association
- Member of the Competition Commission (since 1 May 2018)
- Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer
- Contributing author, Company Law in Hong Kong – Insolvency
- Contributing author, Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Hong Kong Precedents of Pleadings (1st & 2nd editions)
- Oxford University (Pembroke College): Exhibition, First Class Honours
- Harvard Law School: Yong K. Kim Memorial Prize 2005 (for L.L.M. Dissertation on Intellectual Property and the Rule of Law in China)
- Hong Kong Bar Association: Bar Scholarship (2004) & Charles Ching Memorial Scholarship (2004)