Michael obtained First Class Honours in both his LL.M. at the University of Cambridge and LL.B. at King’s College London. He joined Des Voeux Chambers in 2018 upon completion of his pupillage with Mr. Ian Pennicott SC, QC, Mr. Osmond Lam, Mr. Johnny Ma, Mr. Alan Kwong, and Mr. Jason Yu.
Michael has a broad civil and commercial practice, including Company and Insolvency, Commercial, Property, Trusts, Intellectual Property, Arbitration, and Construction. He accepts instructions for both advocacy and advisory work, and has appeared in the High Court and the District Court both in his own right and as junior counsel.
Company & Insolvency
- Re Ping An Securities Group (Holdings) Limited  1 HKLRD 429 - resisting an interlocutory application for an injunction restraining a listed company's proposed rights issue (led by Dr. William Wong SC, JP, with Mr. Peter Chung)
- Re Dickson Valora Group (Holdings) Company Limited  3 HKLRD 210 - resisting application for (i) striking out the unfair prejudice petition on the ground of lack of locus standi and (ii) staying the petition in favour of arbitration (led by Mr. Anson Wong SC, with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- Re General Appliance (Holdings) Limited  HKCFI 1669,  HKCFI 356,  HKCFI 1247 - acted for the petitioner in a petition for unfair prejudice and just and equitable winding-up, including applying for interlocutory injunction and resisting a striking out application (with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- Re Glory Sky Financial Limited  HKCFI 2982 - appearing for the petitioner to dismiss the winding up petition and oppose an appeal against a garnishee order absolute, with an application for indemnity costs order (as sole advocate)
- Re Winasia Industries Limited  HKCFI 527 - application for validation order and indemnity costs order against the petitioner (as sole advocate)
- Chan Kai Yan & Anor. v Leung Chi Kit & Ors  HKCFI 1828 - resisting application for striking out the action on the ground of, inter alia, reflective loss (led by Dr. William Wong SC, JP, with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- Re Spot On (Hong Kong) Group Corporation Limited (HCCW 30/2019) - appearing for the company resisting the winding-up petition (as sole advocate).
- Re Zuji Limited (HCCW 173/2019) - appearing for the petitioner to dismiss the winding-up petition with costs (as sole advocate).
- Re Wealthy Up Finance Limited (HCCW 113/2019) - appearing for a creditor opposing the winding-up petition (as sole advocate).
- Re L&A International Holdings Limited (HCCW 72/2019) - appearing on behalf of a contributory opposing the winding-up petition on just and equitable ground (as sole advocate).
Jurisdictional Challenge & Remedies
- Dickson Valora Group (Holdings) Co Ltd & Anor. v Fan Ji Qian  2 HKLRD 173 - resisting application for a quasi-contractual anti-suit injunction (led by Mr. Anson Wong SC, with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- Plain Sail Holdings Limited & Anor. v Lau Wing Yan  HKCFI 653 - application for an antisuit injunction to restrain Panamanian proceedings on grounds of unconscionability (led by Mr. Ambrose Ho SC)
- China Baoli Technologies Holdings Ltd & Ors v Orient Equal International Group Ltd &ors v Lantau Holdings Ltd & Ors  HKCFI 288 - resisting application for payment of fortification for an injunction out of court, involving issues concerning authority, res judicata and foreign law (led by Dr. William Wong SC, JP)
- Sky Motion Holdings Limited v China Create Capital Limited  HKCFI 2408 - application for Mareva/proprietary injunction in connection with a dispute over share transfer (with Mr. Patrick Chong)
- General Appliance (Hong Kong) Ltd v Friendship Investments Ltd  HKCFI 631 - resisting application for a mandatory injunction for delivery up of title deeds (with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- BRM Mobilier SAS (In Liquidation) v Yee Kok-Siong & Titans Genesis Limited  HKCFI 1324 - application for Mareva/proprietary injunctions against second-level recipients of proceeds of an international fraud (as sole advocate)
- Ko Yih Shyong & Ko Tong Shya v Cui Leilei (HCA 420/2019) - application for Mareva/proprietary injunctions against direct recipients of proceeds of an international fraud (as sole advocate)
- HEC Finance 03 Ltd v Chen Jiarong & Anor  HKCFI 2840 - resisting summary judgment application to enforce a guarantee (led by Dr. William Wong SC, JP, with Mr. Martin Kok)
- Dickson Valora Group (Holdings) Co Ltd & Anor. v Fan Ji Qian  HKCFI 2953 - resisting application for indemnity costs for a successful quasi-contractual anti-suit injunction (as sole advocate)
- Choi Lisa Mei Yin v Yau Pak Kin  HKCA 812 - civil appeal against the finding of forgery (led by Ms. Audrey Eu SC, with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- v  HKCFI 2292 - Resisting application for variation of cost order nisi (as sole advocate)
- Choi Chee Ming & Anor. v Leclecq Yu Mi  HKDC 414 - resisting application for discharging Warrant of Distress in a distraint action (as sole advocate)
- Wee Ho v Civil Journalist Limited & Anor (HCA 2852/2017) - resisting an application for further and better particulars in a defamation case (with Mr. Alan Kwong)
- Protech Home Medical Corp. v Huasite Trade Co., Limited (HCA 797/2019) - application for Mareva/proprietary injunctions against direct recipients of proceeds of an international fraud (as sole advocate)
- v (HCCT 59/2017) - application for charging order absolute over shares (as sole advocate)
- Qunxing Paper Holdings Company Limited & Anor. v Stevenson, Wong & Co (HCMP 3308/2014) - hearing of preliminary issues in respect of taxation proceedings (as sole advocate)
- SCLHK Scholarship (2018)
- Corpus Christi College Cambridge Postgraduate Law Prize (2017)
- Jessica Learmond-Criqui Prize for Labour Law (2015)
- Associateship of King’s College (2015)
- "Minority Shareholders' Remedies: Jurisdictional Issues and Case Update" (2019) CPD Seminar (with Mr. Vincent Chiu)
"Recent Updates on Company and Insolvency Law" (2018) CPD Seminar (with Look Chan Ho and Rosa Lee)
- "Property Litigation: Constructive Trust, Proprietary Estoppel, and Adverse Possession" (2019) CPD Seminar (with Mr. Alan Kwong)
English, Mandarin and Cantonese