Cyrus joined Chambers in 2020 after successfully completing pupillage under the supervision of Joseph Tse SC, Christopher Chain, Jason Yu and Justin Lam. He is now developing a broad commercial chancery practice, with an emphasis on corporate litigation, insolvency, commercial disputes, arbitration and conflict of laws.
Prior to joining Chambers, Cyrus read the BA (Law) at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and the BCL at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He was awarded multiple university prizes, including the Vinerian Scholarship (Proxime Accessit) for second best academic performance in the BCL. Cyrus also worked as a research assistant for Professor Sir Roy Goode in the publication of Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol Official Commentary (4th Ed.).
Cyrus grew up in Singapore and is a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese. He has experience drafting, and dealing with, legal documents in Simplified Chinese.
Corporate litigation and Insolvency
- Instructed (with William Wong SC, JP and Justin Lam) to act for shareholders in an ongoing multiple derivative action for breach of directors’ duties.
- Assisted in advising former directors on the prospects of defending a liquidator’s claim for breaches of directors’ duties, unfair preference and fraudulent conveyance.
- Assisted in advising a listed company on the scope of Companies (Winding Up and Miscellaneous Provisions) Ordinance s.182.
- Instructed to assist in the just and equitable winding up of an exempted holding company in the Cayman Islands under Corporate Litigation and Insolvency
- Instructed (with Christopher Chain) to advise on the interpretation and enforcement of a multi-million dollar consultancy contract.
Arbitration and Conflict of Laws
- Assisted in applying for leave to serve Hong Kong proceedings on foreign defendants in Mainland China.
- Assisted (during pupillage) in a HKIAC arbitration concerning the enforcement of a worldwide patent licensing agreement.
Scholarships, awards and prizes Cyrus has received for academic excellence include:
- Thomson Reuters Law Prize (University of Hong Kong, 2019) (most promising student on the PCLL who intends to become a barrister)
- The Sweet & Maxwell Edlyn Yap Prize for Litigation (University of Hong Kong, 2019) (highest average mark in litigation-specific courses on the PCLL)
- Vinerian Scholarship (proxime accessit) (University of Oxford, 2018) (second highest overall mark on the BCL)
- 3VB Prize for Legal Concepts in Financial Law (University of Oxford, 2018)
- John Morris Prize in The Conflict of Laws (University of Oxford, 2018)
- Monckton Chambers Prize in Competition Law (University of Oxford, 2018)
- Clifford Chance Prize for European Union Law (University of Cambridge, 2017)
- Herbert Smith Freehills Prize for Conflict of Laws (University of Cambridge, 2017)
- Falcon Chambers Prize for Land Law (University of Cambridge, 2016)
- One Chancery Lane Prize for Tort Law (University of Cambridge, 2015)