Mairéad is a Senior Counsel with a strong company/commercial background and has developed an extremely busy matrimonial practice.
Mairéad joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has appeared in numerous reported cases across a broad spectrum of family matters from Children’s Proceedings to complex financial and multijurisdictional disputes, she also regularly advises and acts for trustees and other third parties in such disputes. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong family law in proceedings in various overseas jurisdictions and is a qualified Collaborative Practitioner. She is contributing author of Family Law & Practice in Hong Kong and is a member of the Bar’s Special Committee on Family Law.
Mairéad has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
- Multijurisdictional disputes including financial and children’s proceedings.
Mairéad is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
Mairéad Rattigan SC of Des Voeux Chambers has practised family law in Hong Kong for three decades and operates across the full spectrum of practice area concerns, offering particularly focused expertise in the handling of financially complex pre- and post-nuptial settlements and jurisdictional questions.
Source commend "Mairéad is very knowledgeable in the area of family law. She is firm but polite; a great advocate who is always giving sensible advice and is easy to work with. When you have her on your side, you know your client will be well looked after." "Mairéad is always the go-to barrister for family cases. Her submissions are on-point, and she understands the client, always offering pragmatic advice." "She's a very natural advocate who comes across as very practical, commercially minded and user-friendly."
Chambers & Partners: Greater China Region (2023)
Mairéad Rattigan SC is accredited as a Leading Silk for Family and Private Client.
Des Voeux Chambers was bolstered by Mairéad Rattigan SC taking silk in 2023. She is regularly instructed in a broad range of cases, lending particular expertise to ancillary relief and child law matters. She is praised as‘A reputable senior family barrister in Hong Kong.’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific: Hong Kong Bar (2023)
Mairéad “is the name that springs to mind for family matters," "At the top end we use Mairéad Rattigan. She takes on the passion of the client and the solicitor, she listens and comes up with ideas, she's very good at cross-examination and in submissions, and the Family Court respects her enormously." She has practised family law in Hong Kong for three decades and operates across the full spectrum of practice area concerns, offering particularly focused expertise in the handling of financially complex pre- and post-nuptial settlements and jurisdictional questions.
Chambers & Partners Greater China Region (2022)
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”