Practised from DVC between 1984 and 1989. Practised from Keating Chambers, the leading construction set in the UK, from 1989 to date. Returned to full time practice at DVC in 2010. Extensive experience in all aspects of (i) arbitration law and procedure both as advocate and arbitrator, (ii) building, engineering and construction litigation and arbitration, (iii) negligence claims against construction professionals (architects, engineers, project managers and building/quantity surveyors and (iii) the law as it applies to the environment.
Comments from recent editions of Chambers & Partners include: “hardworking and very approachable”...“unstuffy and informal”...“trusted performer”. Recommended in “International Arbitration” in Chambers Asia 2010 and 2011, “Commercial Dispute Resolution” 2016.
Ian is identified “as one of Hong Kong's pre-eminent construction practitioners, whether acting as courtroom advocate, arbitration counsel or arbitrator”, He is commended as a "top operator," and he is "very well respected in his field." He is also noted for his expert handling of professional negligence and employment-related claims.
Chambers & Partners Greater China Region (2022)
Ian Pennicott SC is well-versed in advising on claims brought against construction professionals, e.g. building surveyors and architects. 'An outstanding counsel who is easy to work with.' He is accredited as a Leading Silk for Construction and Property
Legal 500 Asia Pacific HK Bar (2022)
Ian Pennicott QC SC has been recognized by Who’s Who Legal as “Global Elite Thought Leader” in the field of Construction:
Ian Pennicott QC SC is an accomplished silk in Hong Kong, whom peers describe as “highly regarded with specialist knowledge of dealing with construction cases”.
Who’s Who Legal 2022
- Co-Author of ‘Commissions of Inquiry in Hong Kong’ 2021
This book is now available from Sweet & Maxwell, please click [Order Link] for more
- Contributor to Keating on ’Building/Construction Contracts’ (5th to 8th Editions).
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building Contracts’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Fuel and Energy’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Cross Country Pipelines’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building’ and ‘Building Contracts’ (5th Edition).
- Consulting Editor to forthcoming Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Energy’ (5th Edition’).
- MCIArb (UK)
- Member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Commercial Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Society of Construction Law (UK & Hong Kong)
- Panel of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Bencher of the Middle Temple