Practised from DVC between 1984 and 1989. Practised from Keating Chambers, the leading construction set in the UK, from 1989 to date. Returned to full time practice at DVC in 2010. Extensive experience in all aspects of (i) arbitration law and procedure both as advocate and arbitrator, (ii) building, engineering and construction litigation and arbitration, (iii) negligence claims against construction professionals (architects, engineers, project managers and building/quantity surveyors and (iii) the law as it applies to the environment.
Comments from recent editions of Chambers & Partners include: ‘hardworking and very approachable’... ‘unstuffy and informal’.... ‘trusted performer’. Recommended in ‘International Arbitration’ in Chambers Asia 2010 and 2011, ‘Commercial Dispute Resolution’ 2016.
Ian Pennicott QC is “one of the best names for construction law” and is “very sought after as a construction silk and arbitrator.” He is singled out for his expert handling of professional negligence claims and employment-related claims, in addition to his construction litigation and arbitration practice. He is described as “succinct, intelligent and very hard-working,” reporting that “he is very easy to work with and has a pragmatic and sensible approach.”
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2021)
‘ Succinct, intelligent, hard-working and easy to work with. ’ Ian Pennicott SC, also an international member of elite London construction set, Keating Chambers is instructed as arbitrator and counsel, and is a key name at the senior level. Ian Pennicott SC is accredited as a Leading Silk in Construction matters.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific HK Bar (2021)
Ian Pennicott SC, QC of Des Voeux Chambers is a veteran construction specialist, equally at home in litigation or arbitration proceedings, and active as both counsel and arbitrator in the latter context. A peer describes him as “a true construction lawyer and one of the best in Hong Kong,” while an instructing solicitor sums him up “our favourite counsel, always at the top of our list, very hands-on and so detailed and thorough that he doesn't need a junior.”
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2020)
- Contributor to Keating on ’Building/Construction Contracts’ (5th to 8th Editions).
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building Contracts’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Fuel and Energy’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Cross Country Pipelines’ (4th Edition).
- Consultant Editor to Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Building’ and ‘Building Contracts’ (5th Edition).
- Consulting Editor to forthcoming Halsbury’s Laws of England ‘Energy’ (5th Edition’).
- MCIArb (UK)
- Member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Commercial Bar Association (UK)
- Member of the Society of Construction Law (UK & Hong Kong)
- Panel of Arbitrators, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
- Bencher of the Middle Temple