Douglas Lam SC was a management consultant with the Hong Kong office of McKinsey & Company before he joined the Hong Kong Bar in 1999. He is fluent in Cantonese and Putonghua.
Mr Lam’s practice specialises in cross-border commercial disputes and company and corporate insolvency matters. His clients include many of the largest financial institutions, multinational corporations and investment funds in the world. He has acted as leading counsel in numerous complex contract and shareholder disputes involving Mainland Chinese and foreign parties, winding-up petitions of publicly listed companies, and contentious applications arising out of company liquidations.
He also advises and appears regularly as leading counsel in banking and securities disputes, regulatory matters involving the Securities and Futures Commission, contentious trust and probate matters, commodities contract disputes, insurance and shipping related litigation and arbitrations.
In recent years, he has also been instructed in high value disputes concerning the division of family assets in matrimonial proceedings, particularly those involving issues of constructive trust and asset tracing.
Mr Lam was appointed Senior Counsel on 2 May 2015 and has since been consistently ranked as a leading company and commercial silk by Chambers and Partners. He was named “Barrister of the Year” at the Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards in September 2017.
He is also an accredited mediator.
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers focuses his practice principally on cross-border commercial, company and insolvency-related disputes. Sources report that he maintains “a very busy practice,” that “people like his advice because he's very practical” and that he is persuasive both on his feet and on paper, his written work in particular being “succinct, cogent and very punchy.”
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2020)
Douglas Lam SC is credited as a Leading Senior Counsel in the Doyles Guide 2020 for Maritime, Shipping & Transport Law for Barristers in Hong Kong
Doyles Guide (2020)
Douglas Lam SC of Des Voeux Chambers is described by one interviewee as a “very experienced practitioner and natural advocate with a very busy commercial and arbitration practice,” other sources stressing his “very smooth advocacy” and “very accommodating and patient manner with clients and solicitors,” one adding that “he is well liked by the court because his submissions are very realistic and full of common sense.” Particularly well known for his handling of cross-border commercial disputes, he acted successfully for Merrill Lynch International Bank and Merrill Lynch (Asia Pacific) in High Court appellate proceedings in which the moneylender plaintiffs contention that they were due damages for a supposed negligent misstatement on the part of Merrill Lynch was dismissed with costs.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2019)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court (March-April 2017, January-February 2018, October-December 2018 & June-Aug 2020 )
- Chairperson of the Insurance Appeals Tribunal (IAT) (2017-present)
- Chairman of the Buildings Appeal Tribunal (2015 - present)
- Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Appeals Board (2016 - present)
- Member of the Independent Police Complaints Council (2017 - present), Chairman of the Legal Committee (2018 - present)
- Member of the SFC Disciplinary Chair Committee (2018 - present)
- Member of the Estate Agents Authority (2016 - present)
- Member of the Special Committee of the Bar Association on Overseas Admissions (Civil) (2013 – present) and the Investment Committee (2015 - present)
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
- Awarded “Barrister of the Year” at the 2017 Asialaw Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards held on 28 September 2017
- Middle Temple Society of Hong Kong Scholarship (2000-2001)