Daniel R. Fung, SBS, SC, QC, JP, FCIArb who served as Solicitor General of Hong Kong (1994-8) under Chris Patten, the last Governor of the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong and the Honorable C H Tung, the first Chief Executive of the Hong Kong SAR, is a specialist in complex commercial litigation and in public law, specifically judicial review of legislative and administrative action, supervision of regulated industries including the financial services and the television & broadcasting sectors. In addition, Mr Fung is a specialist in China-United States relations, specifically the security dimension and military-to-military relations, and in Chinese state-owned enterprises covering both domestic and overseas operations.
A graduate of University College London (LLB 1974, LLM 1978) and made a Fellow of his alma mater in 2005, Visiting Scholar to Harvard Law School (1998-99), Senior Visiting Fellow to Yale Law School (1999) and Distinguished Fulbright Scholar accredited to the United States from Hong Kong (2000), Mr Fung was called to the English Bar (at Middle Temple) in 1975 and admitted to the Hong Kong Bar in 1977. Mr Fung was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1990.
Mr Fung is a National Delegate to the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (from 2003), a member of the Hong Kong Government’s Strategic Development Commission (2006-2012), Chairman of the Broadcasting Authority (2002-2008), a member of the World Bank International Advisory Council on Law & Justice (1999- 2005), a consultant to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on the rule of law and legal and judicial capacity building in China, Laos and Cambodia (2000- 2002), a board member of the Airport Authority (1999-2005), a non-executive director of the Securities & Futures Commission (1998-2004), a member of the Hong Kong Government Central Policy Unit (1993-94) and a member of the Basic Law Consultative Committee (1985-1990).
Mr Fung is currently Adjunct Professor of City University of Hong Kong, Visiting Professor of Peking University (2007-2009), Visiting Professor of Sun Yat-Sen University (2004-2007), Co-Chair of the International Advisory Board of the Peking University Law School of the Transnational Law, Chairman of Social Sciences Advisory Board of Lingnan University, Honorary Lecturer in the Department of Professional Legal Education of the University of Hong Kong, CIETAC Arbitrator (from 2001) and Arbitrator, Shanghai International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (from 2012).
Mr Fung was Joint General Editor of Arbitration in China (Thomson, 2004) and a contributing author to Global Civics (Brookings, 2010), The Confluence of Affluence: The Pearl River Delta Story (SCMP, 2005), Democracy & the Rule of Law (Library of Congress, 2001), Hong Kong the Super Paradox: Life after Return to China (St Martin’s Press, 2000) as well as numerous articles in academic journals.
Mr Fung also serves as Chairman of the United Nations Peace & Development Foundation, member of the World Economic Forum Global Agenda Council on the Rule of Law (2009 - 2013), President of the International Law Association (ILA) Hong Kong Chapter, Chairman of the Board of International Bridges to Justice (IBJ), Advisory Board Member of Global Thinkers Forum, Member of Advisory Council, American Renewable Energy Institute, Senior Fellow of the Salzburg Global Seminar (SGS), Vice Chairman (2006-2011) and Treasurer (2011-2014) of SGS, Vice-President of the Academy of Experts, Member of the Board of Governors of the East West Center (EWC), Council Member of International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) (2004- 2012), Council Member of China Law Society (CLS) and Founding Governor of the China-US Exchange Foundation.
In 2003, Mr Fung was awarded the Silver Bauhinia Star for services to constitutional development in Hong Kong and made a Justice of the Peace in 2004. In 2011, Mr Fung was honored by UNDP in recognition of his contribution to the work of UNDP China and the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.
- Basic Law Consultative Committee – 1985 – 1990(from inception to promulgation)
- Deputy Judge of the High Court – 1992 – 1994
- Served on the Central Policy Unit of the Hong Kong Government – 1993 – 1994
- Visiting Scholar to Harvard Law School – 1998 – 1999
- Senior Visiting Fellow to Yale Law School – 1999
- Non-executive Director of the Hong Kong SFC – 1999 - 2004
- Member of the World Bank International Advisory Council on Law and Justice – 1999 – 2005
- Director of the Hong Kong Airport Authority – 1999 – 2005
- Distinguished Fulbright Scholar for Hong Kong to the United States – 2000
- Special advisor to the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Corporate Governance in China – 2001
- Chairman of the Hong Kong Broadcasting Authority – 2002 – 2008
- Visiting Professor to Sun Yat Sen University of Law School China – 2004 – 2007
- Justice of the Peace - 2004
- Visiting Professor to Peking University Law School – 2007 - today
- Joint General Editor of Arbitration in China (2004)
- Contributing Author to Democracy & The Rule of Law (2001)
- Contributing Author to “The Confluence of Affluence: The Pearl River Delta Story” (2005)
- Contributed various articles to academic and popular journals