Mairéad is a senior junior Counsel with a strong company/commercial background and has developed an extremely busy matrimonial practice.
Mairéad joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong matromonial law for use in overseas courts.
Mairéad has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
- Multijurisdictional disputes including financial and children’s proceedings.
Mairéad is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
Mairéad Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers is described by interviewees as a "go-to senior junior, all-rounder matrimonial barrister" who "knows the field and is well respected by judges," her status as "an exceptionally good, forceful but fair advocate" attracting special praise. Experienced in both the financial and child-focused spheres of the family law discipline, she offers focused expertise on ancillary relief issues, including those involving trustees, and also advises extensively on cross-jurisdictional questions.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2020)
Mairead Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers is acclaimed as a "very experienced" and "great practitioner" in this space, operating in both the financial and child-related sectors of the practice area and being valued, not so much as a barrister favouring one side or the other than as someone who "sees the big picture" and can address matters holistically.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2019)
For the 3rd year in a row, Mairéad Rattigan has been acclaimed by Doyles as a Preeminent Junior Counsel for her expertise in Hong Kong Family, Divorce and Matrimonial Law (2016, 2017 and 2018)
Doyles 2016, 2017 and 2018
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”