Mairéad is a senior junior Counsel with a strong company/commercial background and has developed an extremely busy matrimonial practice.
Mairéad joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong matromonial law for use in overseas courts.
Mairéad has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
- Multijurisdictional disputes including financial and children’s proceedings.
Mairéad is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
Mairéad Rattigan is endorsed as a “go-to” and “true” family law barrister. She is praised for her broad coverage of matrimonial and child-related cases. She has practised family law in the jurisdiction for almost three decades, and she is “very experienced in Hong Kong and sees the big picture.” She operates across the full gamut of family law, but is particularly well versed in handling cases involving pre-and post-nuptial settlements involving companies and trusts matters, in addition to issues of jurisdiction.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2021)
Mairéad Rattigan of Des Voeux Chambers is described by interviewees as a "go-to senior junior, all-rounder matrimonial barrister" who "knows the field and is well respected by judges," her status as "an exceptionally good, forceful but fair advocate" attracting special praise. Experienced in both the financial and child-focused spheres of the family law discipline, she offers focused expertise on ancillary relief issues, including those involving trustees, and also advises extensively on cross-jurisdictional questions.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2020)
Mairéad Rattigan is accredited in the Preeminent Junior Counsel category by the Doyles Guide for Leading Family & Divorce Law Barristers – Hong Kong, 2020
Doyles Guide (2020)
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”