Mairéad is a senior junior Counsel with a strong company/commercial background and has developed an extremely busy matrimonial practice.
Mairéad joined Des Voeux Chambers in 1991 and has acted for clients such as HSBC, Cartier, Mansion House, Sun Alliance, Paramount Publishing, Shun Shing Construction and Samsung Corporation among others. She has appeared in numerous reported cases across a broad spectrum of family matters from Children’s Proceedings to complex financial and multijurisdictional disputes, she also regularly advises and acts for trustees and other third parties in such disputes. She has also given expert opinions on Hong Kong family law in proceedings in various overseas jurisdictions and is a qualified Collaborative Practitioner. She is contributing author of Family Law & Practice in Hong Kong and is a member of the Bar’s Special Committee on Family Law.
Mairéad has extensive expertise in Matrimonial Law including:
- Forum and Jurisdiction
- All forms of Ancillary Relief including cases involving pre and post nuptial settlements, companies, trusts and trustees as third parties
- Advising trustees in ancillary relief proceedings
- Children Cases: Custody, Care and Control, Access, Removal, Wardship and Hague Convention cases.
- Multijurisdictional disputes including financial and children’s proceedings.
Mairéad is also experienced in Company and Insolvency law including:
- Advising and representing parties to winding up proceedings, including creditor’s petitions, just and equitable petitions and public interest petitions
- Reductions of Capital
- Schemes of Arrangement, including Insurance Schemes and Schemes in Insolvency
- Minority shareholder actions
- Interlocutory applications in winding up petitions, including appointment of provisional liquidators and interim receivers, applications for injunctions, applications pursuant to sections 182 and 290 of the Companies Ordinance
- Advising and representing parties in most forms of commercial disputes.
Mairéad Rattigan is endorsed as a “go-to” and “true” family law barrister. She is praised for her broad coverage of matrimonial and child-related cases. She has practised family law in the jurisdiction for almost three decades, and she is “very experienced in Hong Kong and sees the big picture.” She operates across the full gamut of family law, but is particularly well versed in handling cases involving pre-and post-nuptial settlements involving companies and trusts matters, in addition to issues of jurisdiction.
Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific (2021)
“Very experienced in Hong Kong, she sees the bigger picture.” Mairéad Rattigan is one of two juniors at Des Voeux Chambers who is held in high regard by peers and solicitors, particularly for her child law work. Mairéad Rattigan is commended as a Leading Junior for Family & Private Client Law.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific HK Bar (2021)
For the 5th year in a row, Mairéad Rattigan has been acclaimed by Doyles Guide, Hong Kong 2021 as a Preeminent Junior Counsel for her expertise in Hong Kong Family, Divorce and Matrimonial law.
Doyles Guide (2021)
Has given frequent lectures to practitioners on various aspects of Matrimonial Law and on Capital restructuring of companies including reductions of capital and schemes of arrangement
Contributing Editor “Hong Kong Family Law Practice & Mediation”