Ping Kan joined Chambers in September 2021 following successful completion of his pupillage with Mr. Derek Chan SC, Mr. John Hui, Mr. Alexander Tang and Mr. Jason Yu.
Ping Kan is developing a broad civil practice and accepts instructions in all areas of Chambers’ work. He has appeared as sole advocate and as led junior at various Court levels, including as sole advocate before the Appeal Committee of the Court of Final Appeal in Dennis Kwok v Poon Sui Cheong  HKCFA 2 (a shareholders’ dispute). Ping Kan also regularly appears in interlocutory applications, including applications for urgent injunctions as sole advocate.
Before commencing pupillage, Ping Kan completed a training contract at Latham & Watkins LLP in the firm’s Hong Kong and Washington DC offices. He was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2018 and practised as an associate in the firm’s Litigation & Trial department in Hong Kong, specialising in complex commercial litigation, international arbitration, and white-collar investigation.
Ping Kan read BA (Law) at the University of Cambridge on a Prince Philip Scholarship. In 2014, he graduated with First Class Honours and was awarded the title of Corpus Christi College Scholar. In 2020, Ping Kan completed the Bachelor of Civil Law at the University of Oxford, where he graduated with Distinction in all four subjects and came top of his class in Advanced Property and Trusts and Constitutional Theory.
- Dennis Kwok v Poon Siu Cheong – acted for the appellant for leave to appeal before the Appeal Committee of the Court of Final Appeal (sole advocate)
- Hypertec Systems v Yifim – acted for the applicant and successfully obtained default judgment and vesting order (sole advocate)
- Synergy Solutions Management Limited v Super Homes Limited – acted for defendant in resisting interim injunction restraining it from presenting a winding up petition (sole advocate)
- Re China Saite Group Company Limited – acted for supporting creditor in respect of winding-up petition (sole advocate)
- Re Elegant Profit (Hong Kong) Limited (In Liquidation) – acted for sole contributory of the company in respect of appointment of liquidators and committee of inspection (sole advocate)
- Re HongKong Bai Yuan International Business – acted for petitioner in both the interlocutory hearing (to oppose adducing new evidence) and the substantive hearing of the petition (sole advocate)
- CultureCom Limited v Jade Dynasty Publications Limited and others – acted for defendants in an interlocutory injunction application in respect of copyright of a comic series (led by CW Ling)
- Re Mason Supreme Healthcare Group Limited – acted for shareholder of the company in a proposed intervenor application under sections 732 and 733 of the Companies Ordinance (Cap. 32) (sole advocate)
- Re Mason Supreme Healthcare Group Limited – acted for plaintiff in a Mareva injunction in support of ongoing High Court proceedings in Hong Kong (sole advocate)
- Golf Apparel Brands v Tong Pat Ling Patrick and others – acted for a defendant in a security for costs and strike-out application (sole advocate)
- 上海聯銀創業投資有限公司 v Charles Lu Zhengyao – acted for plaintiff in obtaining Mareva injunction in support of Hong Kong enforcement of a PRC arbitral award (sole advocate)
- Zhang Hui v GreenOrange Trade Co., Limited – acted for plaintiff in resisting security for costs (sole advocate)
- In the matter of an arbitration agreement dated May 2021 – acted for plaintiff in an urgent application for interlocutory injunction to restrain defendant company from disposing of a valuable asset in aid of arbitration in Hong Kong (led by Douglas Lam SC and Sakinah Sat)
- In the matter of an arbitration under Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre 2018 Administered Arbitration Rules – assisted in the trial of the preliminary question on jurisdiction
- Skyfame Management Services Limited v Chi Fung Capital Group Limited – advised on contractual claims totaling US$2.5 million
- Provided Hong Kong law opinion for US federal court proceedings concerning scope of permissible disclosure of documents obtained in injunction applications.
- Provided Hong Kong law opinion for PRC proceedings in relation to enforcement of arbitral awards.
- Provided Hong Kong law opinion on applicable regulations on pre-IPO investments and aspects concerning connected transactions.
- Provided Hong Kong law opinion to a Singaporean-based stored value facilities provider
- Provided legal opinion to a local bank concerning a potential action under section 60 Conveyancing and Property Ordinance
- Committee Member, Young Barristers Committee of the Hong Kong Bar Association (2022-present)
- Solicitor of the High Court of HKSAR (2018-2019)
- Prince Philip Scholarship Lawton Prize
- Scholar of Corpus Christi College
- Philip C Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition: 1st Runner Up (oralist); Best Memorial (team)
- Law Faculty Prize (Advanced Property and Trusts)
- Law Faculty Prize (Constitutional Theory)
- Contributor, “Cross-Border Issues” in Company Law in Hong Kong (Insolvency) 2018, 2019 & 2022
- English, Mandarin, Cantonese