Kelvin Kwok joined Des Voeux Chambers in 2015 after serving pupillage with Dr. William Wong S.C., Jose-Antonio Maurellet S.C., Michael Arthur and the late Harry Liu. He has a civil and commercial practice with a strong emphasis on competition law matters.
Kelvin obtained his BBA(Law) and LLB degrees, both with First Class Honours and ranking first in his cohort, from the University of Hong Kong (HKU), where he obtained numerous scholarships and academic awards. He proceeded to obtain his LLM degree (with the equivalent of High Honours) from the University of Chicago, where he specialised in competition/antitrust law, intellectual property and economic analysis of law. Immediately upon graduation from law school, he became an Assistant Professor of Law at HKU, where he continues to teach and research on competition law, before qualifying for the Hong Kong Bar.
Over the years, Kelvin has accumulated considerable experience in competition law as an ad-hoc consultant (before joining the Bar), as a pupil barrister, and currently as Counsel. His experience includes:
- Dispute resolution: assisting i-CABLE as an ad-hoc consultant in the Communication Authority’s Preliminary Enquiry into i-CABLE’s Alleged Anti-Competitive Conduct in relation to the Sub-Licensing of Broadcasting Rights to the 2010 FIFA World Cup and the 2012 Olympic Games, leading to the recent 2016 decision that i-CABLE had no case to answer.
- Exemption/exclusion-related applications under the Competition Ordinance: preparing such applications and representing lay clients in meetings and dealings with the Competition Commission and Government authorities.
- Advisory work: providing competition law advice to lay clients in different sectors of the economy, including the financial, media, professional and retail sectors.
Kelvin is active in the Hong Kong competition law community. Apart from giving CPD seminars and media interviews on a regular basis, he serves on the Bar Association’s Special Committee on Competition Law, the Consumer Council’s Competition Policy Committee, and the Hong Kong Competition Association’s Executive Committee, and as a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network.
- Member, Special Committee on Competition Law, Hong Kong Bar Association
- Non-Governmental Advisor, International Competition Network (ICN)
- Co-opted Member, Competition Policy Committee, Consumer Council
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong
- Middle Temple Scholarship for Advocacy Training (2015)
- Peter Vine Postgraduate Law Scholarship (2010)
- Dean’s Honours List (2005-06, 2007-08, 2009-10)
- Rowdget W Young Medal in Law (2010)
- Norton Rose Prize in Competition Law (2010)
- HSBC Overseas Exchange Scholarship (2008)
- APAA Prize in Issues in Intellectual Property Law (2008)
- HKICS Corporate Governance Paper Competition Winner (2008)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (HK) Scholarship (2008)
- Johnson Stokes & Master Prize in Law of Tort I & II (2007)
- Kowloon Chamber of Commerce Scholarship (2007)
- Sir Man Kam Lo/Jardine Scholarship (2007)
- Rosita King Ho Scholarship (2006)
Various competition law seminars/talks/presentations upon invitation by:
- The Competition Commission
- The International Bar Association’s Law Students’ Committee
- The Chinese Gold & Silver Exchange Society
- The Department of Justice
- The Association of Hong Kong Professionals
- The Construction Industry Council
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Thomson Reuters
- The Hong Kong Competition Association
- The Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries
- Euromoney / International Financial Law Review (IFLR)
- law firms
Publications on competition law (some available here):
- Television Broadcasts Ltd v Communications Authority: Implications for the New Competition Ordinance, Hong Kong Lawyer, April 2016 issue
- The New Hong Kong Competition Law: Anomalies and Challenges, 37 World Competition 541 (2014) (awarded the 2014-15 Research Output Prize of the Faculty of Law)
- A Rule of Reason Approach to the Antitrust Issues of the Google Book Search Settlement, 10 DePaul Business & Commercial Law Journal 1 (2011) (nominated for the Concurrences Antitrust Writing Awards 2012)
- A New Approach to Resolving Refusal to License Intellectual Property Rights Disputes, 34 World Competition 261 (2011) (nominated for the journal’s Young Writers’ Award)