Jonathan joined Chambers in 2020 upon completion of his pupillage with Mr Peter Duncan SC, Mr Christopher Chain, Mr Jason Yu and Mr Justin Lam.
Jonathan graduated from the University of Cambridge with a BA (Law) with Double First-Class Honours, having obtained a number of awards and reached the semi-finals of the BPP-OUP National Mooting Competition (representing the University of Cambridge). He went on to obtain the BCL from the University of Oxford with distinction. He has published articles and case notes in a number of peer-reviewed law journals. He is also a Bar Scholar.
Jonathan is currently developing a broad practice and accepts instructions in all areas of Chambers’ work. He has been involved in cases concerning company and bankruptcy law, probate and trusts, commercial law and intellectual property law. He has appeared in the District Court, Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal both as a sole advocate and junior counsel and has been instructed for both Chinese and English language litigation and arbitrations. He is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin and speaks basic French.
Jonathan is currently a part-time Lecturer (Non-Clinical) in Law of Contract at the Department of Law, University of Hong Kong, having previously taught Equity & Trusts.
- Part-time Lecturer (Non-Clinical) in Law of Contract, Department of Law, The University of Hong Kong (November 2021 – August 2022)
- Part-time Lecturer (Non-Clinical) in Equity & Trusts, Department of Law, The University of Hong Kong (September 2020 – August 2021)
- Yip Kim Po v AIG Insurance Hong Kong Ltd (Formerly known as American Underwriters Ltd  HKCA 464 (as sole advocate) – Resisting security for costs of appeal (paper disposal)
- Re Nimble Holdings Co Ltd  HKCFI 519 (led by Barrie Barlow SC) – Application to set aside and re-open assessment of costs of former provisional liquidators of a company
- 張鳯珊 對 富邦銀行  HKCA 1927 (as sole advocate) – Resisting appeal against bankruptcy order
- Yip Kim Po v AIG Insurance Hong Kong Ltd (Formerly known as American Underwriters Ltd)  5 HKLRD 295 (as sole advocate) – Stay of execution pending appeal on question of law
- China Shanshui Cement Group Ltd Anors v Zhang Caikui Anor  HKCA 1139 (with David Chen) – Appeal against finding of contempt by former directors of a listed company
- Re Ng Shui Cheong  HKCFI 703 (as sole advocate) – Bankruptcy petition
- Yeung Mei Lee v Forever Winner International Development Ltd  HKCFI 3114 (as sole advocate) – Rectification of share register of company
- Allahabad Bank v UD Trading Group Holding Pte Ltd  HKCFI 3030 (as sole advocate) – Application for leave to serve writ out of jurisdiction upon re-grant
- Lam Man Lai and others v OJ VC Limited  HKCFI 2495 (with Michael Lok) – Application by a third party to set aside default judgment
- Hao Tian International Securities Ltd v Ng Shui Cheong  HKCFI 1590 (with Justin Lam) – Appeal against Master’s order for summary judgment
- Bar Scholarship (2019)
- Prize Scholarship (2015, 2017)
- Des Voeux Chambers Junior Scholarship (2015)
- Eunice and Alton Kramer Prize for Law (2015)
- “Electronic Signatures and Related Issues”, The Hong Kong Lawyer’s e-newsletter (14 May 2021) (co-authored with John Scott SC, JP)
- “Recasting Brickenden” (2021) 33 SAcLJ 680
- “Equitable Compensation and Brickenden: Fiduciary Loyalty and Causation” Trust & Trustees, Volume 26, November 2020, Issue 8-9, pp.800-813
- Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer
- “A Hardly Obvious Question”  1 IPQ 74
- “Substantiating Substantive Review”  PL 632
- “The impact of social unrest and Covid-19 on commercial leases”, The Property and Conveyancing Law Association (September 2021)
- CPD Seminar: “Common interlocutory relief in commercial disputes” (with Tinny Chan) (July 2021)