Brian is a Bar Scholar. He joined Chambers upon completion of his pupillage with Dr. William Wong SC, JP, Mr. Tony Li, Mr. Christopher Chain and Mr. Jason Yu. He is currently developing a broad civil and commercial practice.
Brian has appeared in the High Court and the District Court both in his own right and as junior counsel. He is involved in cases concerning a wide range of areas, including insolvency, director’s duties, shareholders’ disputes, professional disciplinary proceedings, trust, arbitration, construction, shipping, matrimonial, and land matters (including compulsory resumption and order for sale under the Partition Ordinance). He is regularly instructed to appear as sole counsel, including notably a 7-day civil trial involving a novel point of law of evidence shortly after commencing his first year of practice.
Prior to joining the bar, Brian graduated first in class with his LLB from the University of Hong Kong, and further obtained his BCL with distinctions in all subjects from the University of Oxford as a Jockey Club Scholar.
Brian has been appointed part-time Lecturer (Non-Clinical) at the Department of Law, University of Hong Kong effective from September 2020.
- Part-time Lecturer (Non-Clinical), Department of Law, The University of Hong Kong (effective from September 2020)
- Acting for the defendant as sole counsel in a 7-day civil trial involving a novel point of law of evidence and expert witness (pending judgment)
- Acting for the applicant as sole counsel in obtaining release from an undertaking to the court in respect of an application under section 17 of the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Ordinance (ongoing)
- Acting for the defendant in resisting a Mareva injunction for US$620 million against a former director and founder of a Japanese listed company, led by Dr. William Wong SC (Universal Entertainment Corporation v Kazuo Okada  HKCFI 1406, affirmed by the Court of Appeal in  HKCA 995)
- Acting for the plaintiff in obtaining a Mareva injunction for US$8 million arising from charterparty disputes, led by Mr. Victor Joffe QC and Mr. Christopher Chain (Pacific Bulk Supramax Co Ltd v Bintan Mining Corporation  HKCFI 680)
- Acting for the applicant in obtaining an order for sale of land on favourable terms, led by Mr. Patrick Chong (Lam Chok Lai v The Official Receiver and Trustee in Bankruptcy of Lam Chok Wai, a Bankrupt  HKCFI 260)
- Acting for the plaintiff in resisting leave to appeal to the Court of Final Appeal on the basis of the Duomatic Principle, led by Dr. William Wong SC and Mr. Adrian Lai (Ng Kwok Piu Philip v To Pui Kui  HKCA 106)
- Bar Scholarship (2019)
- Sir Oswald Cheung Memorial Fund PCLL Scholarship (2018)
- Hong Kong Jockey Club Graduate Scholarship (2017)
- Gallant Ho Prize in Law (2017)
- Herbert Smith Freehills International Competition Law Moot Champion and Oralist Award (2017)
- Joint University Mooting Festival Champion and Best Speaker Award (2015)
- International Oxford IP Moot Quarter-finalist and Best Written Submissions Award (2015)
- Basic Law Moot Champion and Best Speaker Award (2014)
- 20 other academic scholarships or awards
- Contributing Editor to Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2008 - 2019) - published in 2020 by DVC in collaboration with Kluwer