Cyrus joined Chambers in 2020, having completed pupillage with Mr Joseph Tse SC, Mr Christopher Chain, Mr Jason Yu, and Mr Justin Lam.
Cyrus took Triple Firsts in the BA (Law) at Cambridge, and a distinction in the BCL at Oxford, where he was a Harry Liu Postgraduate Scholar, and was elected a Des Voeux Chambers Scholar by the faculty for merit. He received multiple university prizes for academic excellence, and was the proxime accessit to the Vinerian Scholarship, awarded for the second-most outstanding performance in the BCL. Before joining Chambers, Cyrus also worked as a research assistant for Professor Sir Roy Goode CBE QC.
Cyrus is developing a broad commercial chancery practice. He has particular interests in corporate litigation, commercial disputes, arbitration and the conflict of laws.
Cyrus grew up in Singapore and is a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese. He has experience drafting, and dealing with, legal documents in Simplified Chinese.
As many of Cyrus’ matters remain ongoing, the names of the parties have been anonymised for confidentiality. Examples include:
- Acting for a minority shareholder in an ongoing multiple derivative action for alleged breaches of directors’ duties (led by Mr William Wong SC, with Mr Justin Lam).
- Acting for a warehouse owner in an ongoing fire negligence claim (led by Mr José-Antonio Maurellet SC).
- Acting for a subsidiary of a listed company in an ongoing contractual claim for non-performance of a consulting contract (with Mr Christopher Chain).
- Acting for a guarantor to resist enforcement of a mortgage security in an ongoing moneylender’s action (led by Mr José-Antonio Maurellet SC, with Mr Justin Lam).
Scholarships, awards and prizes Cyrus has received for academic excellence include:
- Thomson Reuters Law Prize (University of Hong Kong, 2019) (most promising student on the PCLL who intends to become a barrister)
- The Sweet & Maxwell Edlyn Yap Prize for Litigation (University of Hong Kong, 2019) (highest average mark in litigation-specific courses on the PCLL)
- Vinerian Scholarship (proxime accessit) (University of Oxford, 2018) (second highest overall mark on the BCL)
- 3VB Prize for Legal Concepts in Financial Law (University of Oxford, 2018)
- John Morris Prize in The Conflict of Laws (University of Oxford, 2018)
- Monckton Chambers Prize in Competition Law (University of Oxford, 2018)
- Clifford Chance Prize for European Union Law (University of Cambridge, 2017)
- Herbert Smith Freehills Prize for Conflict of Laws (University of Cambridge, 2017)
- Falcon Chambers Prize for Land Law (University of Cambridge, 2016)
- One Chancery Lane Prize for Tort Law (University of Cambridge, 2015)