Cyrus joined Chambers in 2020 after completing pupillage under the supervision of Joseph Tse SC, Christopher Chain, Jason Yu and Justin Lam.
Since joining Chambers, Cyrus has developed a broad civil practice, with a particular focus on professional negligence, commercial and insolvency litigation.
Examples of recent cases include:
China Forestry v KPMG (HCCL 9/2019), a professional negligence claim exceeding USD 100 million in value. Cyrus was instructed to defend KPMG in a 50-day trial, where he was led by Justin Fenwick QC and Douglas Lam SC. The case settled shortly before trial.
Acting for an auditor in a professional negligence claim exceeding USD 500 million in value (led by a Queen’s Counsel and a Senior Counsel).
Acting for an award-creditor to enforce an arbitral award exceeding USD 100 million in value (led by a Senior Counsel).
Prior to joining Chambers, Cyrus read the BA (Law) at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and the BCL at Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He was awarded multiple university prizes, including the Vinerian Scholarship (Proxime Accessit) for coming in second in the BCL. Cyrus also worked as Professor Sir Roy Goode’s research assistant in publishing the Cape Town Convention and Aircraft Protocol Official Commentary.
As a native speaker of Mandarin Chinese who grew up in Singapore, Cyrus has experience drafting and dealing with legal documents in Simplified Chinese.
- PCLL, University of Hong Kong (Distinction)
- BCL, Corpus Christi College, Oxford (Distinction)
- BA, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (Triple First Class)
Scholarships and Awards
PCLL (University of Hong Kong)
- Thomson Reuters Law Prize (2019) (most promising student who intends to become a barrister)
- The Sweet & Maxwell Edlyn Yap Prize for Litigation (2019) (highest average mark in litigation courses)
BCL (University of Oxford)
- Vinerian Scholarship (proxime accessit) (2018) (second highest overall mark on the BCL)
- 3VB Prize for Legal Concepts in Financial Law (2018)
- John Morris Prize in The Conflict of Laws (2018)
- Monckton Chambers Prize in Competition Law (2018)
BA (University of Cambridge)
- Clifford Chance Prize for European Union Law (2017)
- Herbert Smith Freehills Prize for Conflict of Laws (2017)
- Falcon Chambers Prize for Land Law (2016)
- One Chancery Lane Prize for Tort Law (2015)