Charlie served pupillage under Mr. Joseph Tse SC, Mr. Christopher Chain, Mr. Jason Yu and Mr. Michael Lok. He practises in all areas of Chambers’ work, with an emphasis on civil and commercial matters.
Charlie has appeared before the Court of Final Appeal and the Court of First Instance, and has been involved in various cases concerning company and insolvency law, commercial law, public law, competition law and conflict of laws. He has also been instructed in a number of arbitrations.
Charlie graduated 1st in class with his LLB from the University of Hong Kong with a string of academic prizes and scholarships. He also spent a year as a visiting student at the University of Cambridge. He further obtained his BCL with distinctions in all subjects from the University of Oxford, and ranked 1st in class in Advanced Property and Trusts and Comparative Corporate Law.
Charlie was a top scorer of the National College Entrance Examination (Gaokao) in Shanghai. He speaks fluent Mandarin, Cantonese, English and Shanghainese, and has experience in drafting legal documents in Chinese.
Charlie is teaching contract law as a part-time lecturer (non-clinical) at the University of Hong Kong.
Company and Commercial
Sun Min v Chu Kong (2022) 25 HKCFAR 318;  HKCFA 24;  HKCFA 16 (led by Mr Johnny Mok SC, BBS, JP, with Mr Michael Lok) - Criminal contempt
Re Sino Oil and Gas Holdings Ltd (HCCW 281/2022) (as sole advocate) - Winding-up petition
Re Target Insurance Company, Ltd  HKCFI 3036 (led by Mr Abraham Chan SC, with Mr Michael Lok) - Winding-up petition
Re RZ3262019 Limited (In Provisional Liquidation in the British Virgin Islands)  HKCFI 3602 (as sole counsel) - Recognition of foreign liquidators
Re China U-Ton Future Space Industrial Group Holdings Ltd (HCMP 171/2023) (with Mr Michael Lok) - Scheme of arrangements
China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Ltd v Zhang Kangyang  HKCFI 2135 (led by Ms Audrey Eu SC, with Mr Alan Kwong and Mr Michael Lok) - Multi-jurisdictional dispute, summary judgment
Wong Yuk Lun v G.M.Arthur & C Co Ltd (HCMP 2013/2022) (as sole counsel) - Convening shareholders' meeting
Represented the Respondent in a 5-day trial on issues of construction and contract law, governed by SIAC rules (with Mr Calvin Cheuk)
Mantra Dao Inc v John Mullin (HCA 749/2022) (led by Mr Douglas Lam SC)
Cinda Fund Management Co Ltd v Yihua Lifestyle Technology Co Ltd (HCMP 370/2023) (led by Mr Douglas Lam SC)
Chen Yue v Li Shan (HCA 524/2022) (led by Mr Douglas Lam SC)
HKCOLO.NET Ltd v Hong Kong Telecommunications (HKT) Limited (HCA 1900/2021) (led by Mr Chua Guan-Hock SC, JP)
Ex parte Mareva injunction in aid of HKIAC arbitration (with Ms Catrina Lam)
Ex parte Mareva injunction in aid of LMAA arbitration (with Ms Catrina Lam)
- Inaugural Cambridge Global Conversations Scholarship (2020-2021)
- Hou De Charitable Foundation Scholarship for PCLL (2020)
- Oxford Law Faculty Prize for Advanced Property and Trusts (2020)
- South Square Prize for Comparative Corporate Law (2020)
- Herbert Smith Freehills Oxford Disability Mooting Championship - Best Speaker in the Semi-Finals (2019)
- China Oxford Scholarship (2019)
- DVC Harry Liu Postgraduate Scholarship (2019)
- Lo & Lo Prize in Land Law (2019)
- Dean's Honours List (2016, 2017, 2019)
- Peter Vine Postgraduate Scholarship (2019)
- DVC Oxford BCL Scholarship (2019)
- Oxford International Intellectual Property Law Moot - Powell Gilbert Runner-up Prize for Best Written Submissions (2018-2019)
- DVC HKU Junior Scholarship (2018)
- Peter Willoughby Memorial Prize for Criminal Law I & II (2017)
- Bloomsbury Book Prize in Law and Society (2016)
- Serena Yang Award (2016)
- HKU Foundation Scholarship (2015-2019)
Mandarin, Cantonese, English and Shanghainese