Adrian was awarded the Bar Scholarship in 2020. He joined Chambers upon successful completion of his pupillage with Mr. Martin Hui SC, Mr. John Hui, Mr. Patrick Siu and Mr. Kerby Lau in 2021.
Adrian read BA (Jurisprudence) in the University of Oxford, where he ranked first in the year in Company Law. He graduated with distinction in the LLM from University College London and the University of Cambridge, with prizes in Unjust Enrichment and International and Commercial Trusts.
Prior to joining Chambers, Adrian has served as a Judicial Assistant in the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal in 2018-2019. His research assistance has been cited in Court of Final Appeal cases (e.g. Securities and Futures Commission v Yiu Hoi Ying Charles (2018) 21 HKCFAR 475) and in articles. Adrian has also served as a marshall to Mr Justice G Lam of the Court of First Instance (as G Lam JA then was) in 2020.
Adrian’s work has been published in the well-respected journal — Lloyd's Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly. He has also been invited to author a chapter of the Encyclopaedia of International Commercial Litigation (Bryan J eds), and has contributed to a leading company law textbook in Hong Kong.
Adrian has been instructed to appear in the Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal either as a sole advocate or as a led junior, including in the notable Fok Family trial and the Pan Su Tong litigation. Adrian has also been instructed to appear in arbitration.
Adrian is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese, and is experienced in drafting legal documents in Chinese.
General civil and commercial
- Fok Lai Ping Patricia v. Fok Chun Wan Ian & Ors (HCA 92, 274, 275/2016) – appearing for the plaintiff in a 60-day trial in a multibillion-dollar trust and fiduciary duties dispute, settled (with Mr. Kerby Lau, and Ms. Rosa Lee)
- Green Light Marketing Co Ltd v Lam Shi Yan & Anor (HCA 2128/2015 & HCA 2294/2017) – successfully resisting an application to amend pleadings in a dispute involving breach of employment contract, restraint of trade, fiduciary duties, and economic torts for the defendant (as sole advocate)
- Lee Shu Hang and Li Sin Man Seline (as the Personal Representatives of the Estate of Lee Sai Nam, Deceased) v. Kan Lap Kee (also known as “Terry Kan”)  HKCFI 651 – appearing for the defendant in resisting committal proceedings for civil contempt of court (led by Mr. Edwin Choy SC, with Mr. Patrick Siu)
- Assisted in a 7-day competition law trial where the breach of competition law was set up as a defence in civil proceedings (during limited practice)
Bankruptcy & Corporate Insolvency
- Pan Sutong v. Bank of China Ltd (HCSD 28/2021) – appearing for the plaintiff in an application to set aside the statutory demand in bankruptcy proceedings, heard together with HCCW 215/2021 (led by Mr. Rimsky Yuen SC, Dr. William Wong SC, with Mr. Lai Chun Ho)
- Bank of China Ltd v. Proman International Ltd (HCCW 215/2021) – appearing for the defendant in the substantive winding up hearing, heard together with HCSD 28/2021 (led by Mr. Rimsky Yuen SC, Dr. William Wong SC, with Mr. Lai Chun Ho)
- Re Lee Siu Fung, Siegfried (CACV 189/2018) – resisting a Court of Appeal application for leave to appeal to the Court of Final Appeal in an application to remove the trustees in bankruptcy (with Mr. Patrick Siu)
- Ho Man Kit and Kong Sau Wai v Lo Siu Chu Judy (HCA 2016/2017) – application for stay of execution of proceedings pending appeal to the Court of Appeal (with Mr. Patrick Siu)
- Re China Ocean Industry Group Limited (HCCW 230/2019) – appearing as supporting creditor in a winding up petition and for substitution as petitioner (as sole advocate)
- Kyodo Yushi Asia Pte Ltd v Yukun International Trade Co Ltd Xiang Chenxiao and Wu Chuan Cheng (HCA 1696/2021) – successfully obtaining the continuation of Mareva and proprietary injunctions and a Bankers Trust order for third party disclosure (as sole advocate)
- Assisted in various injunction applications and in resisting injunctions during pupillage
- Assisted in a substantive legal opinion on various market misconducts and offences (including price rigging, false trading, stock market manipulation and the section 300 offence) and a section 213 application under the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Cap. 571)
- Assisted in a legal opinion in relation to various market misconducts and misrepresentation for alleged mis-selling of securities under the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Cap. 571)
- Assisted a legal opinion in relation to various market misconducts and offences under the Securities and Futures Ordinance (Cap. 571) (during pupillage)
- Acted for a PRC company in the semiconductor technology industry in an arbitration governed by UNCITRAL arbitration rules in the HKIAC
- Judicial Assistant, Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal (2018-2019)
- Bar Scholarship (2020)
- St Edmund’s College Examination Prize (2020)
- White & Case Prize for Top First in Company Law (2016)
- St Catherine’s College Examination Prize (2016)
- British Council IELTS Scholarship for Overseas Studies (2012)
- Various debating prizes
Adrian Lee, The New Flamenco appraised: A new framework for avoided loss and mitigation  LMCLQ 98
Encyclopaedia of International Commercial Litigation, Mr Justice Bryan (ed.), Wolters Kluwer (upcoming) (contributor)
Hong Kong Company Law Cases (2020-2021) (contributing editor)
As Research Assistant
Company Law: Powers and Accountability (2nd ed), LexisNexis (2017)
Mr Justice Ribeiro PJ, Equitable Compensation for Breach of Fiduciary Duty (Asia-Pacific Judicial Colloquium, Singapore May 2019), cited in Zhang Hong Li v DBS Bank (Hong Kong) Ltd (2019) 22 HKCFAR 392
Mr Justice William Gummow NPJ, Sir Anthony Mason in Hong Kong (2019) 30 PLR 172
Mr Justice Andrew Cheung PJ, Conflict of fundamental rights and the double proportionality test (Common Law Lecture Series 2019)
- Mandarin, English, Cantonese